Just as you do in case of a traditional oven, it is required to follow a couple of steps to ensure that your microwave oven will operate for a long time. The procedures are not complicated and do not require a long time, but as in many other cases, it is much easier to prevent problems than to fix them.
Keep your microwave oven clean
The first thing to remember in order to have a functional microwave oven it is not to allow dirt to accumulate inside. Do not wait for the mess that was accidentally splashed on the interior walls to harden. Clean it as soon as possible with a sponge or a damp cloth.
If the spills are old and hardened, you could use a damp cloth that was soaked in a mixture of water and white vinegar. Alternatively, place inside the microwave a bowl containing water mixed with the juice from a squeezed lemon. Operate the microwave until the liquid reaches the boiling point. Use a dry, clean cloth to rub the loosened dirt from the walls and ceiling of the microwave oven.
From time to time the microwave requires a more thorough cleaning. Remember to unplug the appliance before cleaning. Use a solution of water and dishwashing liquid to rub all parts. Finish by wiping all parts with a clean dry cloth.
If the microwave has a burnt smell, pour 3 tablespoons of vinegar and water into a bowl. Operate the microwave for 3 minutes on full power. Wipe the inside of microwave and, if necessary, wipe with a clean sponge soaked in dishwashing liquid. Wipe with a damp cloth then with a dry cloth.
Precautions to take with your microwave oven
When cleaning the microwave, it is important not to use any kind of abrasive sponges or abrasive materials to clean the inside of a microwave oven. Never operate the microwave oven when it is empty; this could badly damage it.
It is recommended to use flared bowls so that the content does not spills on the inside walls. Use only microwave-safe dishes in order to avoid overheating or melting. Do not use any metal dishes or dishes with metal rims inside the microwave oven as they could create electrical sparks and short-circuits, and damage the oven.